Tuesday, April 6, 2010

An Idiots Guide to Theology: Christology

Jesus’ Glory
Jesus’ glory takes two forms in the Gospels the first is the glory that he reflects back to God the Father that people praise him for but the glory given him was in God the Father’s will so that he may be revealed to them. The second is when God the Father chooses to glorify the God the Son, this glory being death on a cross that is described in the Gospel of John.
The first type of glory looks and sounds like this, John 14:8-11 says, “Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us. "Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.” (Holy Bible: English Standard Version, 2002) Through out the Gospel of John Jesus is revealed as having a deep connection with the Father even through out his ministry on Earth, Jesus always pointing the glory given him to the power and majesty back to God the Father. Earlier in the book of John after coming to Lazarus’ tomb Jesus must again explain himself according to God’s glory the Gospel writer writes, “Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me." John 11:40-42. (Holy Bible: English Standard Version, 2002) Finally in John 17:1-5 it says that Jesus prays this about his glory and the glory that belongs to the Father, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.” From this we see that Jesus glorified the Father through the works that he did here on earth so that people would believe. Second we see Jesus praying that the time for the second type of glory to be his and the God the father would glorify him. In a daily commentary online we find a new definition of Glory. “John has hinted throughout his gospel that Jesus would redefine glory. The word for exalt or glorify actually means to lift up on high. For Jesus, his glory will involve his being lifted up on high on the Cross out of love for us and in obedience to God. He will bring the Father glory by fulfilling the Father's plan to bring us out of our bondage to sin and death through his death, burial and resurrection” (Heartlight, 2001)


Works Cited
Heartlight. (2001). Retrieved March 2010 from A new Definition of Glory: http://www.heartlight.org/wjd/john/0917-wjd.html

No comments: